Fall is upon us in the Midwest - USA. Tops of trees are beginning to turn. The sun is warm but the breeze has a cool bite to it. Sweatshirts are coming out of the back of the closet. Jeans have replaced shorts. And our favorite thing? The apple orchards are OPEN!!!!!!! Apples are at the top of our favorite fruit list here at Weight Loss Development but they just taste better in September and October…fresh from the apple orchard…with maybe an apple cider slushie. Yes. It’s a thing. Don’t judge.
Another favorite? One of the local apple orchards has their own mascots. Bernese Mountain Dogs!!! <3 Aren’t they the cutest? While our CEO is partial to weimaraners, we all agree Berners are pretty awesome as well.
Back to apples. So with the fresh local apple harvest, we love to make a healthy, easy, tasty apple crisp. No white flour and sugar here! And you won’t even miss it. The oats make an almost granola type topping that is so crispy and tasty. This can be gluten free if gluten free oats are used! The recipe is also vegan, paleo and low sugar.
We love to have a big heaping scoop for breakfast. Anyone who has ever tried this has loved it. They also don’t believe us when we tell them it’s a much healthier version than grandma’s. Sorry Grandma, we still love you. Promise!
We’ve tried it with Gala, Honey Crisp and even a mix of granny smith and honey crisp apples. Gives it a great dimension of flavor, but feel free to use your own favorites!
For the apples ~
- 4 honey crisp or gala apples, chopped into even 1/2" squares (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the oat crisp ~
- 3/4 cups coconut oil - liquid form
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cup organic rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 dish with nonstick spray.
- Combine chopped apples, 2 TBSP almond flour and 1 tsp cinnamon in a bowl until apples are evenly covered. Pour into 9 x 13 dish and spread evenly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the coconut oil and honey together and set aside.
- In another medium/large bowl, add the remaining oat crisp ingredients (rolled oats, pecans, almonds, almond flour, cinnamon, salt and apple pie spice). Mix together with a fork until combined.
- Pour the coconut oil/honey mixture over the mixed oats. Stir until combined.
- Spoon the oat crisp mixture over the apples evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the topping is slightly golden brown. Apples will be bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Remember, eat apple crisp. Drink apple cider. Take apple cider vinegar....our Apple Cider Vinegar Superior of course.
We buy a lot of our ingredients from Thrive Market online. You can get organic, gluten free, non-gmo and save BIG!
Give it a try and let us know what you think! We always love hearing from our readers. firstname.lastname@example.org